No matter how stunning your capped composite or capped polymer deck is, outdoor deck furniture goes a long way toward tying a space together. When it comes to furnishing your outdoor living space, concerns such as durability, cost, and overall style should come to the forefront. The good news? We’ve got furniture guidance on deck.
Read on to learn how to choose the right craftsmanship for your deck, how to pick pieces that work within your available space, and how to claim your ideal style matches.
Step 1: Invest in Durability and Fuss-Free Care
Care and material composition will always be key factors to consider for the simple reason that your outdoor deck furniture will be continually exposed to the elements. Minimizing fabric is a great first step, as textiles will need to be washed regularly and replaced more frequently than non-textile materials due to weathering, fading, and a higher potential for mold and mildew growth. If you do opt for fabric components such as tablecloths, seat cushions, area rugs or canopies, make sure they are stain- and fade-resistant, easily cleaned, and rated for outdoor use.
For all-weather selections — think chairs, tables, and benches — here are some key points to consider for pieces made of:
Recycled Plastics, Resins, and Marine-Grade Polymers
Durable, resistant to stains, moisture, mold, mildew, and insects. They also won't peel, crack or fade, come in a range of colors, and never require painting or sealing.
Rust-proof, durable, lightweight, and comes in a variety of colors.
Stronger than aluminum or polymers but also significantly costlier and heavier.
Step 2: Optimize Furniture Layout for Your Space
No one wants to put in the effort of curating their ideal outdoor escape only to find themselves feeling squeezed by furniture that’s too big for the space. Conversely, sprawling decks not only comfortably hold statement pieces, but often call for strategic groupings of outdoor deck furniture to control the flow of traffic.
If you have a small outdoor living space
- Keep pathways to seating clear by using vertical or railing planters and a smaller grill.
- Choose folding chairs that tuck under tables or couches.
If you have a medium-size outdoor living space
- Pick one portion of the deck to serve as the central gathering place and consolidate larger pieces of furniture there.
- Visually balance your furniture by keeping larger pieces like planters, grills, sconces, or water features at the perimeter.
If you have a large outdoor living space
- Clearly separate your dining furniture from your lounge furniture to evoke the feeling of multiple rooms.
- Vary your seating; try smaller, more upright chairs around a table and more reclined chairs elsewhere. TIP: Introduce fabric to your lounge space via throw pillows with removable, machine-washable slip covers.
Step 3: Choose Pieces to Match Your Unique Style
Now that you have a sense of the durability and care needs of different outdoor deck furniture, as well as how to align deck scale with your furniture layout, you can set your eye on design. Ask yourself:
- What is the style of your home and deck? What pieces play well with your personal taste?
- How do you plan to primarily use your outdoor living space: for dining, for entertaining, or both?
- What kind of atmosphere do you want to create with your outdoor living space? The more relaxed the furniture, the more laid-back the space will feel!
One of the best ways to cultivate a cool and casual retreat that invites both solitary lounging and laughter-filled afternoons? The TimberTech® Invite Collection by Loll.
Made for effortless outdoor living, the Invite Collection is defined by a balanced mix of bold and neutral hues, gentle curves, and intentional design. Oh, and our durable outdoor deck furniture is crafted from 100% post-consumer recycled material. Style, meet sustainability.
The Invite Collection boasts both small and large pieces as well, so you can enjoy lazy afternoons and long nights no matter the size of your outdoor living space. Coordinated, comfort-perfected and cool: it doesn’t get more inviting than that.
Shop the Invite Collection
Deck out your deck with fresh, fun pieces you won’t find anywhere else.
Never basic. We remade a classic for lazy afternoons and long nights.
This sweet seat is made for two and even more delightful than its living room twin.
Goes anywhere but refuses to blend in. Grab a few, there's sure to be company.
A Perfectly coordinated catchall for dishes and drinks, no coasters required.
Turn Your Deck Dream Into Design
Play with shapes, colors, lighting, and railing to bring your deck ideas to life with our custom Deck Designer tool.