EVERYTHING Ipe should be
TimberTech Advanced PVC Decking has several real wood looks that rival the beauty of Ipe. It’s also more durable than Ipe over time, requires minimal maintenance, and is a more environmentally sustainable option.
Drawbacks of Ipe
Demand outpaces tree growth
Some Ipe species can take 100 years to reach maturity—with only
one adult sized tree grown every 25 acres.1 Despite this slow growth, demand for Brazilian Ipe grew 76% between 2010 and 2020.2 In some remote areas of the rainforest, this has led to less regulated harvesting operations and more harm to the environment.
A long journey consuming more resources
Most commonly harvested from the Brazilian rainforest, Brazilian Ipe travels nearly 8,0003 miles to reach the US, consuming massive quantities of fossil fuels and polluting the atmosphere with CO2 along the way.
The TimberTech Advantage
TimberTech Advanced PVC is made from zero trees and approximately 60% recycled PVC material following sustainable sourcing and manufacturing practices.
Sustainability made in the USA
TimberTech Advanced PVC is made in the USA. So our products travel much shorter distances and contribute considerably less pollution.
VINTAGE COLLECTION: AS BEAUTIFUL AS IPE
Whether you prefer the oiled or weathered Ipe look, you’ll love our Vintage Collection®. Engineered using a combination of multi-tonal color blending, a tight grain pattern, and a wire-brushed, low-gloss finish, it is designed to deliver the nuanced, nature-inspired beauty of hardwoods like Ipe.
OTHER IPE-LIKE TIMBERTECH COLORS
Sustainability Ipe can’t match
Higher Life Cycle Carbon Footprint4
10,774 kg Carbon Emissions
CONTRIBUTES TO DEFORESTATION
- Land damage and habitat loss to Amazon flora & fauna
- Inconsistent enforcement of regulations can lead to illegal trade
- Carbon reserve loss
NEGATIVE IMPACTS OF TRANSPORTATION
- Ipe travels about 8,000 miles just to get from Brazil to the US
- Additional miles vary by state
- Transportation fuels pollute the atmosphere with CO2
FREQUENT AND TOXIC MAINTENANCE
- Annual (at minimum) maintenance requires chemical cleaning
- Higher water consumption to wash & rinse the deck
- Ipe oils can contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
Lower Life Cycle Carbon Footprint4
1,170 kg Carbon Emissions
MADE WITH RECYCLED MATERIALS
- TimberTech Advanced PVC is made of about 60% recycled material—and is fully recyclable at the end of its useful life through AZEK’s FULL-CIRCLE Recycling Program
- No trees are cut down to make our decking
- We divert hundreds of millions of pounds of plastic waste from landfills each year
SUSTAINABLE MANUFACTURING IN THE USA
- Up to 97% of the water in our closed-loop filtration system is reused
- Approximately 99% of internal scrap in our facilities is reused
LOW-MAINTENANCE, ECO-FRIENDLY CLEANING
- TimberTech DeckCleaner is biodegradable
- Low-maintenance decking means less frequent cleanings—and less water used
Performance backed by industry-leading warranties
In addition to delivering real wood beauty, TimberTech Advanced PVC offers unparalleled performance—a promise we proudly back up.
Our boards maintain their rich color and resist staining for decades.
Advanced PVC is highly resistant to moisture and won’t splinter, crack, peel, or rot—no sanding, staining, or sealing ever needed.
Advanced PVC Collections feature Class A Flame Spread Rating, WUI-Compliance, or both.
Made in the USA from approximately 60% recycled material, including post-construction scrap like vinyl siding, pipe and trim.
- CoP18 Doc.105.3: Consultation on proposals to amend the CITES Appendices for timber species. Available at: https://cites.org/sites/default/files/eng/cop/18/doc/E-CoP18-105-03-A8.pdf
- According to life cycle assessment studies commissioned by The AZEK Company, independently performed by Sphera and ACV Brasil, combined with company estimates assuming 60% recycled material in TimberTech Advanced PVC decking
- Transportation miles calculated in a base scenario within a life cycle assessment of Ipe decking performed by ACV Brasil in partnership with The AZEK Company