Your home serves as so many things — entertainment hub, site to recharge, gathering place, and more. The one element that unites all its functions? Design. Your home should reflect your style and creativity, and nothing puts an artful stamp on your space like a polished exterior. We’ve curated this list of contemporary exterior home design ideas to spark your inspiration and elevate your space — curb appeal guaranteed.
Capped Polymer Decking as Cladding
The first thing you likely think of when it comes to exterior home design ideas is the front of your home. Cladding, a type of exterior covering that protects home or building, is one surefire way to make a visual statement on your home. In addition to offering protection, cladding brings texture, color, and dimension to your home’s facade, tying together the overall aesthetic.
Applying capped polymer decking as cladding to your home lets you capture all the beauty of natural wood without its fading, cracking, or costly maintenance. In fact, one notable exterior home design trend in 2020 is the replacement of traditional building materials with composite alternatives. Why? It’s simple: better performance.
The capped polymer boards of the TimberTech® AZEK® Vintage Collection® combine low maintenance with high style for exterior cladding that elevates the look of your home — and its value.
Benefits to TimberTech Capped Polymer Decking as Cladding
- Major mold and mildew resistance thanks to no organic material in the core or cap.
- Class A flame spread rating (the same as concrete).
- Authentic wood look via six nature-inspired colors with a subtle wire-brushed, low-gloss finish.
The Vintage Collection
A Capped Composite Porch
After your home’s façade, the front porch is the next thing guests will see — meaning the next place to show off your signature style. Opting for a TimberTech composite porch means you enjoy all the enduring beauty and performance of TimberTech composite decking, but with smaller gaps between the boards you expect from a porch.
Choose TimberTech Porch and enjoy the following — be forewarned, though: with a front porch this gorgeous, guests may linger.
Capped Composite & Capped Polymer Decking
Another exterior home design idea sure to satisfy? An escape right out your back door.
Your backyard build should capture your unique style, all for decades to come. With TimberTech, your exterior home design ideas are practically limitless thanks to three industry-leading lines — TimberTech AZEK®,TimberTech PRO®, and TimberTech EDGE® — each offering its own mix of hues, grain patterns, and finishes.
- Capped polymer decking.
- Collections feature: Monochromatic, moderate, or complex color-blended options and variable grain patterns.
- Backed by: An industry-best 50-Year Fade & Stain Warranty and Lifetime Limited Warranty.
- 4-sided capped polymer decking.
- Collections feature: Cathedral and wire-brushed grain options, with monochromatic or richly color-blended hues.
- Backed by: An industry-leading 30-Year Fade & Stain Warranty and a 30-Year Limited Warranty.
- 3-sided capped composite decking.
- Collections feature: A sleek straight-grain pattern and monochrome or blended colors.
- Backed by: A competitive 25-Year Fade & Stain Warranty and 25-Year Limited Warranty.
Expand your creativity while you expand your living space — with TimberTech, design’s the limit. Explore the Deck Design tool and create a customized, 3D rendering that can include:
- Multi-Width Decking, including eye-catching inlays.
- In-deck or perimeter lighting for a warm glow.
- Composite or metal railing to complete your space — or, in the case of our new Drink Rail, rest your rosé.
PVC Trim on Your Outdoor Living Space
There’s a lot of rumors out there around PVC, but we prefer to ditch the rumor mill and Lead With Innovation so you can enjoy all the benefits of PVC — like enviable durability — without the hassle.
Here’s a quick look at AZEK Trim benefits:
- Comes uniformly crisp white
- Is easy to install
- Holds up to the elements
- Refines the overall look of your home.
And that’s exactly what makes AZEK Trim a powerful enhancement to your outdoor living space.
Exterior Home Design Ideas: Decking Paired With PVC Trim
Polish and protect your deck with AZEK Trim applied as:
- Stair risers
Composite or Metal Railing
Once you’ve completed the work of art that is your composite deck, one final task remains: choosing your composite or metal railing to frame your space. Remember: there’s more to a top-tier railing than just aesthetics and safety (although TimberTech railings promise both).
Composite railing by TimberTech boasts incredible benefits like:
- Low maintenance: Covered by four-sided capping so there’s no annual sanding, staining, sealing, and painting.
- Major moisture resistance: The cap contains zero organic materials, so it repels mold, mildew, and harmful moisture that warps traditional wood.
- Incredible strength: Composite railings stand the test of time against fading, staining, and scratching — and won’t rot, crack, or warp.
- Value added over time: Although the initial cost may be higher, when you save on the maintenance that a wood rail requires, a composite rail can end up paying for itself.
Begin exploring the power of perimeters with the Classic Composite Series, dubbed “the Designer Series” of our railing portfolio.
Our sleek metal railing systems deliver on both performance and beauty with benefits like:
- Low maintenance: With a long-lasting, powder-coated surface, there’s no corrosion or breakdowns like there are with traditional wood railings.
- Major moisture resistance: Generally considered more durable and moisture-resistant, aluminum is an ideal choice for moisture-rich environments.
- Incredible strength: Aluminum maintains its shape and dimension throughout extreme heat or cold. Like your composite deck, your railing stays strong.
- Clean sightlines: The minimal profile and spaces between aluminum railing offer unencumbered views of your environment.
If you want all the benefits above, plus a fast and easy installation, reach for Impression Rail Express®. The panelized system with pre-assembled balusters saves you time — and money.
Now that you’ve sparked your creativity, launch Deck Designer and start bringing your exterior home design ideas to life.
Turn Your Deck Dream Into Design
Play with shapes, colors, lighting, and railing to bring your deck ideas to life with our custom Deck Designer tool.