Innovation has always been at the core (and cap) of everything we do at TimberTech®. That’s why our TimberTech AZEK® line is No. 1 in premium decking. Our capped polymer line is defined a wire-brushed, low-gloss texture and six dynamic colors, plus a highly moisture- and slip-resistant capped polymer construction. But we didn’t stop there: last year, we introduced Multi Width Decking through our TimberTech AZEK Vintage Collection®, with three widths to choose from — narrow (3.5 inches), standard (5.5 inches), and wide (7.25 inches).
To kick off the new decade, we’re taking it one step further. Now, Multi Width Decking enthusiasts can also find both wide-width and standard-width deck boards in Brownstone and Slate Gray of the TimberTech AZEK Harvest Collection®.
If you’re new to Multi Width Decking and looking for ways to broaden your design perspective, keep reading for three deck board applications that use multiple or non-standard widths for a singularly cool final product.
Multi Width Decking: Polished Picture Frame
Another attractive use of Multi Width Decking is as a picture frame encompassing your composite deck. Applying a picture frame to a deck involves running a deck board along the outer edge of the inlay, sometimes in a contrasting color.
Standard-width picture frames were the first to combine refined style and straightforward protection by covering the ends of the deck inlay — but we weren’t content to leave your deck design options there. With multi width deck boards, you have even more ways to show off your creativity when it comes to framing your deck.
- Polishes the Look of Your Deck: The edge-tracing picture frame lends a nicely finished look to your outdoor living space at the same time that it creates a natural cover to finish the ends of your composite deck boards. Applying a picture frame in a different width than that of the rest of the deck does this, and then some: alternative-width perimeters emphasize the well-crafted design at work and create visually interesting contrast.
- Makes Your Deck Stand Out: If you’re looking for a way to stand out from the pack and showcase your unique style, a high-impact picture frame using multi width deck boards is a surefire way to do so. You can even use a different color than the inlay to turn up the volume even further on the “framing” effect.
Multi Width Decking: Eye-Catching Inlays
In decking terminology, the inlay is the portion of the deck that makes up the “floor.” Inlays can feature multiple deck board widths, colors, and orientations.
A geometric inlay is just one of the many stunning applications for Multi Width Decking. Its statement-making beauty makes it a great option to personalize your outdoor living space.
In the case of the deck pictured above, the inlay takes the shape of a runway comprised of diagonal boards and anchored in the middle by a contrasting diamond. The center of the diamond inlay is comprised of narrow Coastline® porch boards in tongue-and-groove profiles for a tighter fit. The final product creates a natural gathering space, plus, the diamond shape complements the woven effect created by the diagonal lines of the rest of the inlay.
Keep reading for some additional benefits to inlays made from Multi Width Decking.
- Makes for a Great Conversation Starter: If you prefer to stick out from the pack and can’t help but put your personal twist on everything you do, a bold inlay that uses Multi Width Decking is for you. Multi Width Decking inlays allow you to introduce new shapes and seamless linework to your backyard without affecting the resale value of your home — and the result screams luxury living that can’t be ignored.
- Serves as an Inviting Space for Guests: One of the major draws of an outdoor living space is that it provides a place to gather. And while any well-crafted deck can do the trick, nothing invites friends and family quite like a space that showcases well-crafted design. With their posh patterns, multi width inlays fit the bill. Go multi width and keep your eye for design center stage — all while inviting guests to be the stars of your outdoor living space.
Multi Width Decking: Beautiful Benches
Innovative thinking means that Multi Width Decking needn’t only go underfoot. Especially with the TimberTech AZEK line — which can be heat-bent into sleek curves and unique shapes thanks to its performance polymer construction — the options for unique applications abound. One such application? A gorgeous bench that perfectly plays up the design scheme of your outdoor living space. Opt for standard or wide-width boards for the deck and narrow deck boards along the bench. By going narrow for seating, you can choose multiple colors for a lively accent while really showing off the smooth curve of the heat-bent board.
- Showcases Artistry and Craftsmanship: Using Multi Width Decking to create permanent seating that doesn’t depart from the materials, color palette, or look and feel of your deck is a sophisticated way to bring both function and fresh design to your outdoor living space.
- Elevates Your Space Through Innovative Technology: A coolly curving bench finished with narrow deck boards takes your deck to the next level in several ways. For one, its unique design shows your personal style and penchant for technology-driven design. Secondly, the incredible durability of our composite products means that, when you use our deck boards as seating, you bring all the premium performance of TimberTech decking to your seating solutions — gone are the days of weathered chairs or stained couch cushions.
If you’re still looking to get immersed in Multi Width Decking, jump into this 3D tour of an eclectic multi-width deck that combines masterful craftsmanship with a trend-right look.
See & Feel the TimberTech Advantage
Our capped polymer and capped composite decking lines combine recycled material with all the beauty of traditional wood.