When you think of alternative decking, the first thought that comes to mind might be one of PVC deck boards — and it may not be the most savory image. After all, first-generation PVC decking quickly made waves due to peeling, staining, heat buildup and deterioration, among other issues. The good news? TimberTech capped polymer boards ditch the issues that plagued those older PVC deck boards, so you can enjoy nature-inspired, enduringly beautiful decking.
Thanks to innovative technology, TimberTech capped polymer boards deliver some serious advantages, including:
- Superior performance
- A real-wood look
- Long-term cost savings
Because we believe Better Tech, Better Deck™.
PVC Deck Boards: A Brief History
Following the marketplace introduction of composite decking in the 1990s, PVC emerged in early 2000s, positioned as a more durable alternative to wood decks. However, early PVC deck boards quickly drew concerns from consumers.
Early Issues With PVC Decking
- Boards got too hot: First-generation PVC decking could become uncomfortably hot to walk on when exposed to direct sunlight.
- Boards were fake-looking: Owners of first-generation PVC decking found the monochromatic appearance and slight sheen to be a dissatisfying alternative to naturally color-blended wood.
- Boards were not sustainable: As a synthetic plastic, PVC was not considered a “green” building material.
How TimberTech Capped Polymer Decking Innovates Beyond Classic PVC
That means you get all the nature-inspired beauty you want in a deck, without old-school PVC issues or the costly deterioration of wood.
TimberTech Capped Polymer Decking: An Elevated PVC Solution
A Comfortable Feel Underfoot
TimberTech AZEK decking stays up to 30° F cooler than competitive composite products,* so you can keep bare feet — and Buster’s paws — protected on warmer days. Explore contemporary gray and cool brown options.
Dubbed the “Designer Collection,” the TimberTech AZEK Vintage Collection® boasts complex, multi-color blending for the most realistic, rich wood tone finish. A wire-brushed, straight-grain finish offers a premium hardwood look.
- 54% recycled material in our capped polymer boards.
- Closed loop recycles up to 96% of water annually.
- AZEK FULL-CIRCLE PVC Recycling Program for continued innovation in closed-loop recycling.
* Although TimberTech AZEK decking products are cooler to the touch than many other deck board products, all decking products will get hot in the sun. Additionally, the darker the decking color, the hotter it will feel. For hotter climates, consider choosing a lighter color.
How TimberTech Capped Polymer Decking Carves Out a New Category
Your outdoor living space is a major investment in your home. We didn’t want to simply solve the problems of yesteryear — we wanted to engineer PVC deck boards with enough advantages to carve out a category all their own.
We Put a Cap on Our Boards —
Not Your Benefits
- Innovative capping: Through a process called co-extrusion, we developed a protective cap that locks in superior moisture resistance. Our PVC deck boards deliver the most advanced synthetic materials technology without the use of wood particles.
- Long-term cost savings: TimberTech PVC deck boards resist fading, staining, moisture damage, and deterioration. That means you save on repair and replacement costs over time.
- Industry-leading warranties: Lifetime Limited Product Warranty and 50-Year Fade & Stain Warranty.
Check out the TimberTech Advantage Guide to explore even more benefits.
Now that you know how TimberTech capped polymer boards keep your outdoor living space nature-inspired and enduringly beautiful, you’re ready to see and feel the TimberTech difference for yourself. Order up to four free samples for delivery, right to your door.
See & Feel the TimberTech Advantage
Our capped polymer and capped composite decking lines combine recycled material with all the beauty of traditional wood.