As you near completing the build of your composite deck – or even if you’ve already begun enjoying your outdoor living space – you may find some spare samples, rip cuts, or full deck boards at your disposal. The good news? There are many easy ways to repurpose those boards. Learn how to upcycle your spare composite decking for a bonus project – or four.
Sustainability and creativity never paired so well.
Apply Capped Polymer Deck Boards to Your Outdoor Shower
TimberTech composite decking is specifically engineered to resist mold, mildew, and erosion. That makes your spare deck boards ideal for an outdoor shower application.
Your best choice? TimberTech® AZEK® decking.
Your capped polymer boards will:
- Banish moisture: Our capped polymer decking is impervious to water and includes no organic material in the core or cap.
- Stay lightweight: Up to 30% lighter than competitive products for no-fuss application.
- Elevate your outdoor aesthetics: Thanks to nature-inspired color blending and a wire-brushed wood grain pattern.
How to Upcycle Your Composite Decking Into an Outdoor Shower
Use extra boards as a backsplash and / or shelf. Or, go all out and build an outdoor shower from the ground up using capped polymer decking for the frame instead of traditional wood.
Make a Cornhole Set
Wondering how to upcycle your TimberTech AZEK decking into something entertainment-oriented? Opt for the endless enjoyment of a cornhole set.
You’ll enjoy benefits like:
- Major backyard fun with family and friends.
- A truly durable cornhole set you don’t have to worry about when it rains.
How to Upcycle Your Composite Decking Into a Cornhole Set
To upcycle your deck boards into this family-friendly game, you’ll need 2-3 hours, a few tools, and sufficient board material.
- 12-inch miter saw or circular saw
- AZEK® SIDELoc™ Fasteners or 3-inch (minimum) screws graded for exterior use
- Electric drill
- (1) TimberTech® AZEK Fascia 12-foot fascia board
- (2) TimberTech AZEK decking (standard-width) 16-foot square-shoulder deck boards
Read up on the full build instructions and prepare to let the good times roll.
Assemble a Coaster Set
If you have samples on-hand, you have the right materials for a coaster set to complement your finished TimberTech deck build.
Some benefits to composite coasters include:
- Cool capping: All TimberTech decking features either a 3- or 4-sided protective cap, making your composite deck samples an ideal resting place for a frosty beverage.
- Nature-inspired appearance: Stick to one hue in our expansive color portfolio or mix and match for a complementary coaster set.
How to Upcycle Your Composite Decking Into a Coaster Set
Locate your end tables, coffee tables, or any surface likely to invite a drink. Then, just place your sample-made-coaster, crack a can, and enjoy.
DIY Your Own Outdoor Tabletop
Your outdoor living space is your go-to spot to relax and enjoy life – so an eye-catching, high-performance tabletop may be almost as important as your deck. Whether you prefer family dinners or happy hour with friends, your table will need to stand up to the wear-and-tear of outdoor use.
With a tabletop made from capped polymer or capped composite boards, you’ll enjoy:
- Serious durability: We back our decking products with industry-leading warranties, like the TimberTech AZEK 50-Year Fade & Stain Warranty. But fading and staining isn’t all; we’re talking no buckling or splitting boards and serious scratch resistance. Plus, guaranteed no splinters in hands or forearms.
- A coordinated outdoor living look: Nothing polishes your space like a tabletop in the same material as your composite deck.
How to Upcycle Your Composite Decking Into a Tabletop
Collect your leftover composite decking and prepare to DIY your outdoor table.
- Construction adhesive
- AZEK® SIDELoc™ Fasteners (for TimberTech AZEK boards) or
- CONCEALoc® or Cortex® fasteners (for TimberTech PRO®) or
- 3-inch (minimum) screws graded for exterior use
- Miter saw
- Painter’s tape
- Exterior Stain (for traditional wood frame and posts)
- Composite deck boards. In this project, the build team used Island Oak™ boards from the TimberTech AZEK Arbor Collection®.
For a full how-to, head over to The DIY Nuts.
Now that you know how to upcycle your spare composite decking, it’s time to start visualizing how those repurposed projects will impact your space. Jump into our Deck Design tool to kickstart the process.