Custom decks are those that have been custom-built by a contractor to meet your specific needs and design preferences.
Since a customized deck is a unique expression of your personal style, and tailored to your lifestyle, getting it just right is essential. That’s why custom decks nearly always require the expertise of an experienced contractor to build.
Custom deck options can range from small aesthetic details like mixed railing materials to larger structural elements like deck shape.
Why Build a Custom Deck
Custom decks need a bit of extra planning, but their benefits are impactful and long-lasting.
Reasons to build a custom deck include:
- Gives you a unique deck design.
- Built to serve your specific needs.
- Will fit perfectly in the space you have available.
Factors to Consider Before Starting Your Project
Custom decks require extra foresight and planning before getting started on the project, including:
- Cost factors to budget for.
- How intensive you want the project to be.
The cost to build a deck depends on several factors:
- Labor – Custom decks often require you to work with a contractor, so be sure to budget appropriately for labor costs.
- Design – The more complex your design, the higher your labor costs.
- Materials – Overall cost will vary between our capped composite and capped polymer decking lines.
- Substructure – A custom deck will likely require a brand-new, custom-built substructure which will affect your material and labor costs.
- Fasteners – Fasteners range from basic top-down screws to advanced color-matched and hidden options which can impact your overall costs.
How Complex Do I Want My Project to Be?
A large deck with a complicated design will naturally be more intensive than a smaller deck with a simpler design. Decide from the start how much time and money you’re willing to invest — as well as what you’re able or willing to DIY — before starting the project.
How to Find a Contractor
Custom decks very often benefit from the expertise of a contractor.
The right contractor for your custom deck build will be able to:
- Communicate appropriate timelines.
- Work closely with you to finalize design.
- Be conscious of your budget every step of the way.
Asking the Right Questions
Finding the right contractor for your project is about asking the right questions, such as:
- How long have you been a contractor?
- Which decking, railing, and lighting options best fit my goals and budget?
- Have you done any projects similar to mine?
STILL NEED TO VISUALIZE YOUR CUSTOM DECK?
Use our 3D Deck Design tool to customize your deck’s shape, railing, & more. LAUNCH DECK DESIGNER
Inspirational Custom Decks
Discover the unique elements of several custom decks that help them stand out from the crowd.
A Custom Railing
Cost factors: $
Many TimberTech® Railing profiles can be mixed and matched with different infills for a look all your own. This deck features Drink Rail in White with a matching top rail board and aluminum balusters.
An Outdoor Living Room
Cost factors: $$
Create a custom outdoor living room under a deck covering for protection and deck it out with cozy furniture, a fireplace, and a TV for movie nights.
An Intricate Inlay
Cost Factors: $$$
Make your deck surface the star of the show with an intricate inlay using Multi-Width Decking. Choose from several deck patterns, such as herringbone, to find one that suits your deck’s size and shape best.
A Curved Design
Cost Factors: $$$
Use curved deck boards as an inlay or picture frame, or for built-in benches. Note that Curving deck boards requires heat-bending, a process you’ll need a qualified contractor to perform.
As you can see, custom decks are full of character and are worth the extra planning. If you’re ready to move forward with your custom deck build, find a TimberTech-registered contractor who will ensure you achieve all your project goals.