Using the best durable deck material for your backyard build ensures you’ll have a beautiful outdoor living space for you, your family, and even future generations to make lasting memories.
To discover the right durable deck material for your build, it’s important to look at your deck material options across several factors:
- Step 1: Look for protective capping material that can keep your deck beautiful and sturdy for years to come.
- Step 2: Assess fade and stain resistance that ensures your deck looks brand-new on day 1 and 1,000.
- Step 3: Find unbeatable moisture resistance to keep damaging mold, mildew, and rot at bay.
First, let’s take a look at your options in the TimberTech® decking portfolio. Then, we’ll dive into those three factors above that you should analyze when determining the best durable deck material.
Introducing Durable Deck Material: TimberTech Capped Polymer & Capped Composite Decking
Traditional wood has been the deck material of choice for decades — but that doesn’t mean it’s the best choice. Wood alternatives, such as TimberTech capped polymer and capped composite decking, are more durable deck material and still offer the nature-inspired beauty of traditional wood.
Capped Polymer Decking 101
Capped Composite Decking 101
Capped composite decking from TimberTech offers durable cores made up of wood fibers and composite material, protected by synthetic capping that keeps moisture out.
With their high performance and fade resistance, our TimberTech PRO® and TimberTech EDGE® lines boast industry-leading warranties.
Step 1: Look for Protective Capping for the Best Durable Deck Material
TimberTech composite decking features our proprietary capping material designed for unrivaled moisture, fade, and scratch resistance, so your deck stays beautiful and healthy for years to come.
- Protected with innovative fully synthetic capping that features Mold Guard® Technology.
- Offers outstanding mold, mildew, and weathering protection.
- Capping is present on all four sides of every deck board, including within the grooves of our grooved boards, keeping moisture out where it matters most.
What Protective Capping Means for You
Our proprietary capping technology strengthens your composite deck’s surface while protecting its core. That means you can:
- Enjoy an enduringly beautiful deck that won’t fade, stain, warp, or crack.
- Feel confident that your deck will last for decades with the highest level of moisture and mold resistance.
- Spend time with family and loved ones on your livable, durable deck that is resistant to scratches and dents.
Traditional Wood? No Protection
Traditional wood, even exotic hardwoods like Ipe, have no capping protection and are highly vulnerable to weathering and moisture damage.
Step 2: Assess the Best Fade & Stain Resistance for the Best Durable Deck Material
Durable deck material doesn’t just refer to structural integrity — your deck’s appearance is an important aspect of durability, too.
Outstanding Fade & Stain Resistance
TimberTech PRO is backed by a 30-Year Fade & Stain Warranty so you can lock in the real hardwood look you desire without the risk of seeing your deck fade to gray.
What Fade & Stain Resistance Mean for You
Unlike wood, with TimberTech durable deck material you:
- Avoid environmental harm from chemicals like stains or sealants.
- Forego heavy-duty tools or costly repairs to maintain your deck’s appearance.
- Enjoy the freedom of minimal maintenance needed — just wash your deck periodically with TimberTech DeckCleaner™.
- Sip wine or grill out worry-free on your stain-resistant TimberTech deck.
Traditional Wood? Inevitable Fading
The day it is installed, traditional wood becomes exposed to the elements and will begin fading almost immediately.
Step 3: Find Unbeatable Moisture Resistance for the Best Durable Deck Material
Moisture can cause mold, mildew, and rot, which feed off organic material such as traditional wood. Over time, they can weaken your deck’s structural integrity.
More durable deck material, such as capped polymer and capped composite decking, offers unbeatable moisture resistance, so mold and rot have nowhere to grow.
30-Day Moisture Contact Test
Unbeatable Moisture Resistance
With a 100% synthetic core and cap, our capped polymer decking has no organic material to fall victim to mold and mildew growth, both of which thrive in dark, damp conditions.
30-Day Moisture Contact Test
Advanced Moisture Resistance
With no organic particles in its protective 4-sided capping (which even gets in the grooves of the board), our capped composite decking offers superior moisture resistance.
What Moisture Resistance Means for You
Our moisture-resistant capping benefiting you in several ways:
- Promotes the health and safety of your deck by protecting against structural damage from mold, mildew, or rot.
- No need to re-seal your deck with harmful chemicals every couple of years.
- No warping, cracking, or splintering, which can be caused by moisture-induced expansion and contraction in traditional wood.
Traditional Wood? Highly Vulnerable to Moisture Damage
As an organic material, wood is highly vulnerable to mold and rot, and will inevitably develop some form of moisture damage.
For Durable Deck Material, Choose TimberTech
With unbeatable warranties, protective capping, and resistance to fading, staining, and moisture, TimberTech delivers incredibly durable deck material.
Feel the strength and see the beauty for yourself by ordering up to four free samples today.
See & Feel the TimberTech Advantage
Our capped polymer and capped composite decking lines combine recycled material with all the beauty of traditional wood.