Choosing TimberTech® decking for your deck renovation project means you lock in an enduringly beautiful outdoor living space engineered to last a lifetime. But where to start? Here are some deck renovation ideas broken up in terms of relative difficulty:
- Straightforward – Relatively straightforward and best suited as a DIY candidate.
- Intermediate – Requires a bit more know-how and may require advice from a contractor.
- Complex – Strongly recommended for a contractor due to the complex nature of the project.
Straightforward Deck Renovation Ideas
These deck renovation ideas are comparatively straightforward — they don’t include more complex elements like patterned inlays or a picture frame.
Replace Your Old Wood Deck With TimberTech Decking
Still stuck with a traditional wood deck? Improve your home’s value and curb appeal with a deck renovation using TimberTech composite decking.
Benefits of TimberTech Decking vs. Wood
Enjoy several benefits of TimberTech decking vs traditional wood:
- Little maintenance – No more sanding, sealing, and staining. With a TimberTech deck, just clean the deck.
- Lasting beauty – With our proprietary capping and advanced color-blending technology, you enjoy the nature-inspired beauty of wood without the fading or staining.
- Premium durability – Advanced capping technology protects our deck boards from harsh weather elements, making our decking an ideal all-weather decking.
Easiest Way to Replace Your Wood Deck With TimberTech Decking
For the easiest decking installation, our deck experts recommend:
Capped Polymer Deck Boards
TimberTech® AZEK® deck boards are 30% lighter than competitive products and do not require pre-drilling prior to fastener installation.
Top-down fasteners such as TOPLoc® only require the use of basic tools such as a drill, making it a clear-cut installation process.
Panelized Railing System
Impression Rail Express® is an easy-to-install railing system with pre-drilled holes in the rails for simple baluster fitting.
Replace or Add a Railing
Replacing or adding a railing to your deck doesn’t have to be as complicated as it sounds. TimberTech railing offers you easier-to-install options that don’t sacrifice aesthetics.
Why Your Railing Matters
A railing is one of the most — if not the most — important safety features of your deck. Traditional wood railings can deteriorate over time from moisture damage and weathering agents, becoming more and more unstable.
How TimberTech Railing Delivers
TimberTech railing — made from composite material or metal — is a long-lasting option that is both low-maintenance and high-style. With a 25-Year Product Warranty for all our railing options, you can be sure your TimberTech railing will look gorgeous and maintain its safety standards for years to come.
Simple Installation With an Optimized Railing System
TimberTech offers panelized and pre-routed railing systems to make proper installation an easier process than many traditional railing systems.
Impression Rail Express
Impression Rail Express is an aluminum railing that offers a sleek, modern look with narrow lines that allow for clear sightlines.
The RadianceRail Express Smart Set is a composite railing with an elegantly sculpted top rail that adds a sense of sophistication to your deck.
Intermediate Deck Renovation Ideas
Intermediate deck renovation ideas require a bit more know-how about deck construction. If you’re unsure how to proceed, it might be a good idea to work with a TimberTech-registered contractor in your area to ensure your project gets done right.
Extend Your Deck
Extending your outdoor living space can better accommodate a growing family. Keep in mind that this project gets more difficult the greater the expansion, or the more complex your deck’s shape is.
How TimberTech Railing Delivers
The simplest way to extend your deck’s square footage is to add a new level, or a platform.
Benefits to a platform:
- Doesn’t have to be separated by more than one or two stairs and is often a simpler construction project.
- Creates trend-forward dimension in your outdoor living space.
Add Stairs to Your Deck
Before Building Stairs
Before you jump into building your deck stairs, it’s important to consider:
- Residential building code requirements, which can vary by state.
- Product application requirements for different TimberTech decking lines (check installation guides).
- Your deck’s shape and height, which will influence where you put the stairs, how many steps you need, and whether or not you’ll need a railing (required with four risers or more).
Complex Deck Renovation Ideas
These ideas are great if you partner with a TimberTech-registered contractor due to their complex nature.
Add Lighting to Your Deck
Deck lights add ambiance to your deck while also improving deck safety by increasing visibility of your deck’s stairs and perimeter.
Some deck lights need to be installed at the time your deck is being built, while others can be added to an existing deck. Follow the Lighting Installation Guide.
In-deck lights are placed within the deck’s surface and stairs for an elegant glow wherever you need it.
Light up your deck surface with a soft white light that guides your every step.
Riser lights add an ambient glow to stairs while also increasing safety by improving visibility.
Rail lighting, including post cap lights, accent lights, and under-rail lighting, illuminates your perimeter. Keep in mind that different rail lighting options are compatible with certain railing systems.
Place accent lights in posts, at transition points, or along stairs to illuminate your perimeter.
Post Cap Lights
Post cap lights add elegant ambiance to your outdoor living space.
Hidden bulbs placed under the top rail give your deck’s frame a gentle glow.
Now that you have some inspiring ideas for your deck renovation project, you’re ready to partner with a TimberTech-registered contractor who can use their product insight to ensure your project is done right.